Friday, 3 April 2009

Barbados

Well, there you go. For the first time in almost 2 years I forgot to write a Blog entry yesterday - and I only had a couple of days left before I stop for good too. Anyway, what I was going to write about was my long weekend in Barbados where I stopped off on my way back to the UK (OK, its more of a detour than a stopover).

I flew down on Thursday morning and left Monday evening so had almost 5 days there. A couple of the days were filled with West Indies v England ODIs which I'll cover in a separate post but the rest of the time was split between the beach or the bar.

That was the view from the deck outside my hotel (which I would describe as cheap and cheerful at best). On Thursday and Saturday nights I headed along to the main bar area of St Lawrence Gap which was about 20 mins walk. This is about a mile long and is full of bars, clubs and restaurants. On Saturday evening I was sitting in a bar chatting to the bar staff when about half a dozen rather drunken guys wandered in - I assumed they were England cricket supporters but it turned out to be the BVI rugby team who were in town to play Barbados. I ended up getting into a few rounds of rather hideous cocktails and shots with them that night.

Friday night I headed to Oistin Fish Market which, from the early evening onwards if full of tourists and locals. This place is full of dozens of little fish cafes selling the days catch and Banks beer at really cheap prices (one place was selling bottles of Banks for BBD$3 (which works out to US$1.50 or about £1).

No comments: